38th Meeting of the GST Council, at New Delhi dated 18 December, 2019
In the 38th meeting of the GST Council held on Dated 18.12.2019, the GST Council recommended the following:
- (GRC) Grievance Redressal Committees will be constituted at Zonal/State level with both CGST (Central) and SGST (State) officers and including representatives of trade and industry and other GST stakeholders (GST practitioners and GSTN etc.). These committees will address grievances of specific/ general nature of GST taxpayers at the Zonal/ State level.
- Due date for GST annual return in FORM GSTR-9 and reconciliation statement in FORM GSTR-9C for Financial Year 2017-18 to be extended to 31.01.2020.
- Following measures would be taken to improve filing of FORM GSTR-1:
(i) waiver of late fee to be given to all taxpayers in respect of all pending FORM GSTR-1 from July 2017 to Nov-2019, if the same are filed by 10.01.2020.
(ii) E-way Bill for taxpayers who have not filed their GST FORM GSTR-1 for two tax periods shall be blocked.
- Input tax credit to the recipient in respect of invoices or debit notes that are not reflected in his FORM GSTR-2A shall be restricted to 10 % of the eligible credit available in respect of invoices or debit notes reflected in his GST FORM GSTR-2A.
- To check the menace of fake GST invoices, suitable action to be taken for blocking of fraudulently availed ITC input tax credit in certain situations.
- A Standard Operating Procedure for tax officers would be issued in respect of action to be taken in cases of non-filing of GST FORM GSTR 3B returns.
- Due date of filing GST returns for the month of Nov, 2019 to be extended in respect of a few North Eastern States.
- The Council also approved various law amendments which will be introduced in Budget 2020.
[This note presents the decision of the GST (Goods and Services Tax) Council in simple language for easy understanding which would be given effect through Gazette GST notifications/ circulars which alone shall have force of law. The same will be made effective from the date as specified in such GST notifications / circulars.]